Friday, April 6, 2007

Reflections on the sun

I was watching a program about the sun today and learned some very fascinating facts. For those who haven't already changed the blog channel, I'll share some of those with you and why I think them noteworthy.

1) This isn't a fact but a quote by Galileo Galilei. He said "The sun, with all those planets revolving around it and dependent on it, can still ripen a bunch of grapes as if it had
nothing else in the universe to do." I found this to be a very inspiring thought applicable to each of us. It illustrates a basic responsibility we each have to nurturing. By ascribing human qualities to the sun we can say that even while it maintains the balance of the solar system it still provides nurturing light and warmth to things like grapes so they can grow up and be all the can be. As adults we should be like the sun. We should accomplish our normal duties of providing for the family, being responsible citizens. We should also take the time to nurture children and others with our good example and mentoring.

2) The sun has a temperature of 6000 degrees Kelvin at its surface. The temperature increases as you get further away from the surface of the sun. Scientists don't know why this is the case, but it brings another chance for a metaphor. We should expend good amounts of energy to those nearest us. However, in order to increase our influence further from our intimate relationships, we need to burn a little hotter. By this I don't necessarily mean emotionally hotter. Instead, our influence should be warmer, more loving and understanding.

3) If you look at the sun with an unaided eye you see a nice bright sphere. It is warm and perfectly white at midday. However, if you look through an x-ray, infra-red or UV filter you see dark spots and light spots, explosions and magnetic fields. This holds true for people as well. If you observe someone from a far and only through the very narrow lens of your personal experience with them they will appear a certain way. When you get closer to them you learn of their "light spots and dark spots." This doesn't make them a better or worse person, it just means you know them better. This is a perfect argument to avoid judging people.

On that subject, my wife and I were discussing people and insecurities. I have told her that I am, in some respects, an insecure person. This has surprised her before and she asked what were my symptoms of insecurity. I showed her that the lens through which to observe my insecurities was over-compensation. I want to be accepted and so in socially intense situations tend to try to force others to like me by telling jokes and stories. Many would observe me to be an extrovert and a jerk. However, when the lens is applied, they would understand what is really happening and be able to adjust.






Powered by ScribeFire.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You write very well.